Terryville man accused of starting Plainville house fire

Published on Friday, 15 December 2017 16:30


PLAINVILLE - A Terryville man was arrested Thursday for allegedly starting a Plainville house on fire in 2016.

Pietro Marcuccio, 53, is facing charges of first-degree arson and insurance fraud.

According to the arrest warrant, Plainville firefighters responded to a house fire on Oct. 2, 2016, at about 4:14 p.m., at 66 Russell Ave. A neighbor who noticed the fire dialed 911. The home sustained heavy damage before the blaze was put out by firefighters.

During the investigation, fire officials determined that the fire was suspicious, as it had two areas of origin and an irregular burn pattern, according to the warrant. Firefighters ultimately ruled out all possible ignition sources and determined that the fire was intentionally set.

The homeowner, Marcuccio, told officials he was not home when the fire started. He said he has been doing work on it, as a family member had stayed there and made a “mess” of the home, and had left at about 3:30 p.m., the warrant said. Marcuccio said he was in the process of fixing it up and was not living there.

When asked how the fire would jump from one are of the home to another, without burning anything in between, Marcuccio said “fire is a strange thing, it’s alive,” adding that fire can jump from spot to spot, according to the warrant. He also told police and fire officials that his wife had taken a $500,000 insurance policy out on the house, but when police spoke to the wife, she said it was only insured for $125,000 worth of coverage.

According to the warrant, insurance was taken out on the home 11 days before the fire. Marcuccio’s wife said the policy was taken out because of the family member who was living in the home, whom she described as a “liability,” the warrant said.

In March, Marcuccio’s wife withdrew her insurance claim on the home, and Marcuccio did the same in April, according to the warrant.

Furthermore, the warrant said, multiple people went to police during the investigation and told officers Marcuccio had admitted to starting the fire at his Plainville home, by using a torch on some lint that had gathered in a ceiling fan light.

Marcuccio was arraigned Friday in Bristol Superior Court, where officials said he is on probation after he was arrested in Florida for threatening to kill. His bail was set at $500,000.

Ronald Dearstyne, state prosecutor, called it a “strong case” for the prosecution. He added that state prosecutors would likely be seeking prison time.

The case has been transferred to New Britain Superior Court - where the most serious matters in the area are held.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.

Posted in The Bristol Press, Plainville, Plymouth, Terryville on Friday, 15 December 2017 16:30. Updated: Friday, 15 December 2017 16:32.