Two brothers going to trial in Southington Drive-In assault

Published on Wednesday, 28 September 2022 12:43
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@MUSZYNSKIBP

SOUTHINGTON -- Two brothers charged in an assault at the Southington Drive-In in 2020 that sent a man to the hospital for severe lacerations, a fractured orbital bone, a severe concussion and other injuries have made their intent to head to trial clear.

Barrett Delmonico, 32, formally made the decision to go to trial on Tuesday in New Britain Superior Court.

His brother and co-defendant, Benjamin Delmonico, 34, declared his intent for a trial last week in court. 

Both matters do not have a firm start date for when a trial would commence.

Both men face charges of first-degree assault and conspiracy to commit first-degree assault. Benjamin Delmonico has also been charged with criminal impersonation, while Barrett Delmonico also faces one count of second-degree assault. 

According to police, the victim was a defenseless man who was pummeled with a wireless speaker during a live stream Metallica concert at the drive-in on Aug. 30, 2020, just before 1 a.m.

At one point during the incident, the victim, who was drifting in and out of consciousness, reported regaining consciousness to find a man he believes was Barrett Delmonico standing over him with a knife, according to police. A struggle over the knife ensued, when the complainant suffered a severe laceration, police said.

The man then feared he was going to be killed as he was defenseless on the ground, blinded by blood in his eyes, and was being struck in all directions by multiple assailants, according to police.

Following the assault, the victim was taken to Hartford Hospital for a severe concussion, severe lacerations to his head and hand, chipped teeth, a fractured orbital bone and persistent loss of feeling on the left side of his face, police said.

According to police, the altercation started with an argument between the victim and Barrett Delmonico, which resulted in five males assaulting the complainant, who at one point was put in a chokehold. The man was also restrained by two males while Barrett Delmonico struck him in the head with a speaker at least six times, causing him to lose consciousness on the muddy ground, police said.

Following the struggle with the knife, someone at the live stream concert pulled the victim away.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Southington Herald on Wednesday, 28 September 2022 12:43. Updated: Wednesday, 28 September 2022 12:46.