Bristol man charged in Southington attack of 2 men will have chance to keep record clean

Published on Wednesday, 16 October 2019 16:25
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@MUSZYNSKIBP

SOUTHINGTON - One of several men charged in the assault of two men in 2017 - an attack that sent one victim to the hospital - will have a chance to keep a clean record. 

Tremell Cole, 22, of Bristol, was granted Accelerated Rehabilitation - a first-time offender program - during a hearing Wednesday in New Britain Superior Court. 

During the hearing, Cole’s attorney, Matthew J. Costello, said his client contends that anything he did was in self-defense. The case had been moving toward a trial until prosecutors agreed to meet Costello halfway by not objecting to the diversionary program, Costello said. 

Cole will be in the program until Oct. 15, 2021. During that time, he has been ordered not to contact the victims and to pay up to $4,989 in restitution joint and severally with co-defendants for some damage to one of the complainant’s motorcycles. 

If Cole is successful in the program, the charges against him will be dismissed. He has been charged with first-degree larceny, conspiracy to commit first-degree larceny, third-degree assault, second-degree breach of peace and second-degree criminal mischief.

According to the police report, the victims, who were ages 48 and 23 at the time, driving a dump truck and a Harley Davidson Street Glide, respectively, were leaving a local business in the early morning hours on Aug. 24, 2017, when they saw a dark maroon car on Lady Slipper Lane, where the older victim lived. According to the older victim, the 48-year-old went to the vehicle, with “at least four to five” men inside, to see if they were OK, as he said the car was “sideways” in the roadway. The 23-year-old stayed near his bike.

According to the report, the suspects believed the 48-year-old was confronting them about a house party his daughter had been hosting that night, from where they had just left. They said they were accused at the party of stealing someone’s purse, which they adamantly denied.

During the confrontation, one man from the sedan allegedly got out and began assaulting the 48-year-old.

The 23-year-old then saw several other men charge at him and attack him, he told police. He said he was punched and kicked between 40 to 50 times after dropping on the ground into the fetal position.

After the alleged attack, one of the suspects got in the dump truck and drove away, before abandoning it nearby. 

The dump truck, worth about $45,000, was recovered.

The other men, according to the report, allegedly pushed over the victim’s motorcycle, causing nearly $5,000 worth of damage, and left in the maroon car. They were pulled over shortly thereafter, when police were called at about 1:50 a.m.

The 23-year-old was taken to the Hospital of Central Connecticut, in New Britain, for facial bruises and lacerations he suffered. He was diagnosed with a fractured cheek bone, a swollen left eye and multiple contusions.

The 48-year-old suffered abrasions, bruises and lacerations, police said, but he did not choose to go to the hospital and was evaluated by medics.

Court officials on Wednesday said the cases for the others charged in the attack have been resolved.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Southington Herald on Wednesday, 16 October 2019 16:25. Updated: Wednesday, 16 October 2019 16:27.