30 days for man in Bristol crash case after plea bargain

Published on Thursday, 27 December 2018 21:13


BRISTOL - A Southington man has pleaded guilty to fleeing from a three-car crash he caused in Bristol and later trying to get the vehicle back from a local auto yard.

Pedro Alicea, 28, accepted a plea bargain on Friday, in Bristol Superior Court, that included serving 30 days in prison. He will be on probation for 18 months upon his release.

Alicia, during the hearing, pleaded guilty to one count of evading responsibility.

While on probation, Alicea has been ordered to pay restitution for any costs the victims incurred that were not covered by insurance. He also must avoid any further arrests and not drive without a valid license and a vehicle that is properly registered and insured.

Driving a 2001 Volkswagen GTI west on Riverside Avenue, Alicea struck the curb at the intersection of Memorial Boulevard before hitting two other cars, which were stopped at a traffic light in the lane heading the opposite way, on Oct. 13 at 10:27 p.m., according to the police report.

Alicea, police wrote in the report, struck the driver side of a 2013 Volkswagen Passat before hitting a 2014 Nissan Rogue head on. No injuries were reported.

A number of charges against Alicea were dropped on Friday, including those of driving with a suspended license, traveling too fast for conditions and making an improper turn.

According to police, multiple witnesses told officers the driver of the GTI, later identified as Alicea, left the Oct. 13 crash on foot. A police dog tracked the suspect along Riverside Avenue and through the Pequabuck River. The track was not completed because of other calls for service.

Police used information left behind in the GTI to identify the vehicle’s owner. The next day, officers went to the home at about 4:10 p.m. and found Alicea and two other people in a vehicle parked outside. As Alicea got out of the vehicle, he dropped a key that police believe belonged to the GTI that was abandoned after the crash and towed away.

One of the two individuals admitted to police that Alicea had been driving the GTI during the crash and that the trio was trying to get the vehicle back from an area auto yard, according to the report. Police also found that Alicea’s driver’s license had been suspended, and that he was wanted in connection with two unrelated arrest warrants.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol, Southington Herald on Thursday, 27 December 2018 21:13. Updated: Thursday, 27 December 2018 21:15.