Southington bank robber faces up to 25 years in prison

Published on Tuesday, 1 May 2018 21:01
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@muszynskiBP

BRIDGEPORT - A Waterbury man has waived his right to be indicted and admitted he robbed 10 banks and convenience stores in three states, including a bank in Southington.

Zachary Provost, 33, could be sentenced to as many as 25 years in prison after accepting a deal Thursday under which he pleaded guilty in federal court to one count of armed robbery. He is scheduled to be sentenced on July 19.

According to officials from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, he admitted to committing robberies in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire toward the end of last year.

Many involved the suspect either implying that he had a knife or a gun or showing a weapon.

In total, Provost stole about $9,068 between Nov. 29 and Dec. 8, officials said.

On Dec. 1, Provost entered the TD Bank branch at 121 Main St. in Southington and handed the teller a note, according to officials. The note said he had a knife and demanded that the teller give him money. The teller handed over $350.

In the two days before the Southington robbery, Provost robbed two convenience stores in Waterbury, officials said. After the Southington incident, he hit seven more banks and convenience stores in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Hampshire.

Waterbury police arrested Provost on Dec. 9, when they went to a motel in that city on a report of a woman experiencing a drug overdose. At the scene, officers found a BB gun, two ski masks, $542 and a red SUV that was used in the robberies.

The overdose victim, who was staying in the same room as Provost, was revived. Provost has been held since his arrest.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Southington Herald on Tuesday, 1 May 2018 21:01. Updated: Tuesday, 1 May 2018 21:03.