Southington man pleads to reduced charge in assault of woman

Published on Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:41
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@muszynskiBP

SOUTHINGTON - A local man was allowed to plead guilty to a reduced charge on Thursday in connection with the assault of a woman whose face was left bloodied and black and blue.

Douglas Wilson, 43, of 354 Clark St., accepted a plea bargain that included no prison time and two years of probation. During a hearing in Bristol Superior Court, he pleaded guilty to charges of third-degree assault - reduced from second-degree assault - and reckless endangerment. One count of breach of peace was dropped.

Wilson was arrested March 9 after his girlfriend accused him of punching her multiple times and striking her with his crutch several times. The incident took place after the couple had been at a restaurant consuming alcohol, as the victim was driving in the parking lot of a local movie theater.

The assault left the woman with lacerations to her head, a black eye, sore ribs and a cut above her eyebrow. When police spoke to the victim, she had blood on her face that was dripping onto her clothing.

On Thursday in court, the victim told a judge and state prosecutors that, despite what happened, Wilson is a “wonderful” person and a good father. She did not want a protective order that would forbid the two from having contact.

Although he agreed to plead guilty, Wilson’s attorney said his client disputes many of the allegations that were made. He has previously been convicted of second-degree threatening and third-degree assault, and believed his record would have counted against him had he not pleaded guilty.

Wilson was sentenced to two years in prison, suspended, and two years of probation.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Southington Herald on Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:41. Updated: Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:44.