Southington man allegedly threatened woman, child

Published on Tuesday, 20 June 2017 20:27
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

STAFF WRITER

SOUTHINGTON - A local man is facing charges for allegedly threatening a woman and making a comment to her child about knocking him out.

David Mercer, 39, of 30 Darling St., has been charged with second-degree threatening, risk of injury to a minor and disorderly conduct.

According to the police report, Mercer used to date the victim until May and, after that, had been staying with her until he gets into a rehabilitation center.

On Friday, the report said, the woman’s young son got locked out of the house and knocked on the front door for someone to let him inside. Mercer, the report continues, answered the door and, after a brief exchange, allegedly told the boy he wasn’t afraid to knock him out.

Furthermore, the report said, Mercer on Saturday allegedly punched a wall in her home and threw a TV remote, breaking it. He also told the woman that, if she went to police, he would “finish the job when” he “gets out of jail,” adding that he doesn’t care because he has nothing to lose, according to the report. Mercer then allegedly told the woman to “shut up” before he punches her.

The woman then went to police and said she was afraid to go back home because Mercer was there. Officers responded to the home and arrested him. As he was brought out to a police cruiser, Mercer thrust his head into the vehicle and dented it, according to police.

He was held in custody until Tuesday after a hearing in Bristol Superior Court. There, a judge released Mercer to allow him to enter a program that treats both substance abuse and mental health issues. He is due back in court on Aug. 1.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or at jmuszynski@centralctcommunications.com.



Posted in The Bristol Press, General News, Southington Herald on Tuesday, 20 June 2017 20:27. Updated: Tuesday, 20 June 2017 20:29.