Formaggio reopens after chef competes in Vegas

Published on Wednesday, 5 April 2017 23:10
Written by BRIAN M. JOHNSON

STAFF WRITER

SOUTHINGTON - Formaggio Apizza Ristorante re-opened Tuesday after a “close but no cigar” ninth place finish at the Pizza Expo in Las Vegas.

The restaurant had placed third and fifth during past years.

Formaggio, located at 1244 Meriden Ave., had been closed while its chef, Ace Memeti, participated in a four day competition that started March 26.

The contest included a fastest pizza box folding, biggest dough stretch and traditional pizza tasting.

“I look at it as a setback before a bigger comeback,” said Memeti. “The pizza industry is a tricky business, especially competing at the expo against the top chefs in the world. It’s a good way to see how I’ve progressed as a chef and where I can improve.

“In my opinion though, I’d rather it be hosted in the New England area because our pizza is better here.”

Memeti said that he always considers competing there to be a positive experience, whether he comes in first or last place.

“It’s all part of the game and now we’re back open and ready to rock ‘n roll,” he said. “For now I’m going to focus on our business here and try to make the best out of what it is.

“I’m definitely going to keep coming back though so that the judges remember my face.”

Brian M. Johnson can be reached at 860-973-1806 or bjohnson@bristolpress.com.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Southington Herald on Wednesday, 5 April 2017 23:10. Updated: Wednesday, 5 April 2017 23:13.