Terryville man gets 90 days in prison for nearly hitting two police cruisers while drunk

Published on Wednesday, 4 April 2018 20:27


PLYMOUTH - A Terryville man has been sentenced to 90 days in prison for nearly crashing head-on into two cops while he was drunk.

Jacob Lozier, 37, of 15 Fountain Head Road, accepted a plea bargain Wednesday in Bristol Superior Court, admitting he drunkenly crashed into a utility pole on Jan. 14 and took off. He pleaded guilty to one count each of operating under the influence and engaging police in pursuit.

Local police were called by officers in Bristol, at about 7 p.m., after they saw a black pickup truck driving on Route 6 from Bristol to Plymouth, according to the police report. A local officer then spotted a truck on Fountainhead Road with its bumper hanging off and dragging on the ground, shooting sparks in the roadway.

The officer, who was traveling in the opposite lane of the pickup, toward it, turned on his lights and sirens. The truck then drove directly toward the cruiser, forcing the officer to swerve to avoid a head-on collision.

Shortly thereafter, another officer approached the pickup and the truck swerved toward his cruiser. He also had to swerve out of the way to avoid a collision.

The pickup stopped not far from the near collisions, as the vehicle broke down. The driver of the vehicle, later identified as Lozier, got out of the truck and approached police in an “aggressive manner,” the report said. Police officers drew their guns and told him to put his hands on the hood. He complied and was taken into custody.

Police said Lozier was unsteady on his feet, smelled of alcohol and slurred his speech. He refused to take any field sobriety tests, according to the report. He also refused to take a breathalyzer.

Officers found that Lozier had damaged his vehicle crashing into a utility pole.

In exchange for Lozier’s pleas on Wednesday, charges of attempted second-degree assault with a motor vehicle, evading responsibility and failure to drive upon right were dropped. He was sentenced to one year in prison, suspended after 90 days, and two years’ probation.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.

Posted in The Bristol Press, Plymouth on Wednesday, 4 April 2018 20:27. Updated: Wednesday, 4 April 2018 20:29.