Terryville man may avoid prosecution on gun charge

Published on Friday, 4 August 2017 21:29
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

STAFF WRITER

PLYMOUTH - A Terryville man facing a felony charge after allegedly leaving a gun unsecured in his home, which led to one teenager pointing the firearm at another, could be eligible to avoid prosecution through a first-time offender program.

Mark Blaszkiewicz, 51, appeared this week in Bristol Superior Court, where his attorney, Alfred Morrocco, said he may apply for Accelerated Rehabilitation at a future court proceeding. The case was continued to Sept. 19 with no action taken.

During the program, defendants are placed on a form of pretrial probation for up to two years. At the end of that period, if they are successful in the program, the case is dropped as if they had been found not guilty after a trial.

According to the arrest warrant, Blaszkiewicz’s wife’s son, who was 18 at the time and did not stay with the couple, visited their Plymouth home sometime in July 2016. During the visit, the couple’s then-13-year-old son allegedly got hold of his father’s .22-caliber rifle.

According to the warrant, police said the 13-year-old admitted to taking the gun and pointing it at the ceiling in the presence of the 18-year-old because the older boy had been bullying him.

When police spoke to the 18-year-old, he alleged that the younger teen pointed the gun at him and pulled the trigger, but the gun misfired, the warrant said.

According to the warrant, Blaszkiewicz, of 264 South Eagle St., said he kept the .22-caliber rifle in a closet, but it was unloaded. He has been charged with one felony count of risk of injury to a minor, and is free on $1,000 bond.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or at jmuszynski@centralctcommunications.com.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol, General News, Plymouth on Friday, 4 August 2017 21:29. Updated: Friday, 4 August 2017 21:32.