Local towns continue digging out after snowstorm

Published on Wednesday, 15 March 2017 19:41


BRISTOL - Local cities and towns remain hard at work digging out after Tuesday’s blizzard, with roads cleared but many of them still packed hard with ice.

In Bristol, the public works department posted on Facebook around 11 a.m. that crews have been out since 3 a.m. Tuesday morning trying to keep roads clear.

“Bristol received between 14 and 22 inches of snow/sleet and at times the snow was falling at a rate of 3 inches per hour,” the message read. “Our trucks were getting stuck while attempting to clear roads during the peak of the storm. At this point, because of the volume of snow that fell, we have large piles of snow in intersections, cul de sacs and bus stops, as well as schools that need to be cleared. We will be working on removing these snow piles moving forward and hope to allow our crews to get some much needed rest tonight. Early tomorrow morning we will be back at it and will continue to work diligently to clear and move snow. We appreciate everyone’s cooperation in staying off the roads during the storm which greatly helped us to plow and clear streets. We thank you for your patience as we continue our clean-up efforts.”

The message was reposted by Mayor Ken Cockayne on his personal Facebook and the Mayor’s Office page.

In addition, the Bristol Water Department posted on Facebook that crews were concentrating Wednesday on clearing snow from around fire hydrants, working into the early hours of Thursday.

“From there, our crews will work in higher elevation neighborhoods of the city along with business districts,” the message read. “With over 1,600 hydrants to clear, it will take days or possibly weeks to make our way throughout the city. Help from any resident that has the ability to clear a hydrant near their property is always greatly appreciated.”

“There was a lot of snow coming down and our crews have been out since 3 a.m.,” said Cockayne. “This morning we’re focusing on schools and we hope to have them open tomorrow. Over the next few days we will be widening streets and cleaning up corners. I urge people to please be patient.”

In Plainville, Dominick Moschini, superintendent of roadways, said the cleanup “went well.”

“It was better than expected; we figured we were in for worse but we ended up getting about 12 to 14 inches,” he said. “We had a parking ban and people stayed out of the roads so that was good. However, people came out like crazy when the state travel ban was lifted. The roads are currently hard-packed with ice, but we are scraping them down and using high-octane salt and doing what we can.”

Southington Town Manager Garry Brumback said “all in all” Southington handled the storm well.

“Our guys were working hard yesterday,” he said. “They came in at 4 a.m. and took a break at 8 p.m. and then they were back in at 2 a.m. Now we’re going from plowing to salting to get rid of the remaining ice. At noon we brought in sidewalk contractors and we expect it all to be cleared by the end of the day. We’re very happy with how many residents heeded the governor’s travel ban.”

Brian M. Johnson can be reached at 860-973-1806 or bjohnson@bristolpress.com.

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol, General News, Plainville, Plymouth, Southington Herald, Terryville on Wednesday, 15 March 2017 19:41. Updated: Wednesday, 15 March 2017 19:44.