2 men arrested after break-in, allegedly tried to steal pipes

Published on Wednesday, 15 March 2017 19:32


PLYMOUTH - Police have arrested two men accused of breaking into a vacant home in an attempt to steal the basement’s copper piping.

Mitchel Laferriere, 19, of Bristol, and Gavin Richardson, 19, 29 Prospect St. Ext., were both arrested at 3:55 p.m. Monday after police received a report of a break-in at 132 High St.

Upon arrival, police heard a lot of activity in the home’s basement. After several minutes of an officer yelling for whoever was inside the home to come out, police said in their report, Laferriere came out of the home.

Richardson was found in a doorway shortly thereafter, according to police.

Inside the home, police said they found a broken copper pipe in the basement leaking water and a number of tools.

According to police, both men said they were asked by a friend to let two dogs out that were living in the home.

Police did find two dogs in an upstairs bedroom, but Laferriere and Richardson were still arrested. The report does not indicate where the dogs have been taken.

According to police, they received information indicating the two men had planned earlier in the day to take the copper piping from the home.

Both men were charged with third-degree burglary, possession of burglary tools, second-degree criminal mischief, sixth-degree larceny, attempted sixth-degree larceny, second-degree breach of peace, conspiracy to commit third-degree burglary and interfering with an officer.

Laferriere was held in custody and arraigned Wednesday in Bristol Superior Court, where his bail was set at $15,000. His case was continued to April 6.

Richardson, who has been released on a $10,000 non-surety bond, is scheduled to appear in court next Tuesday.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or at jmuszynski@centralctcommunications.com.

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol, Plymouth, Terryville on Wednesday, 15 March 2017 19:32. Updated: Wednesday, 15 March 2017 19:35.