Plainville man pleads not guilty in vicious attack of two men at Norton Park

Published on Monday, 9 April 2018 17:29


PLAINVILLE - A local man has pleaded not guilty to charges in connection with the brutal assault of two men at Norton Park in July.

Randell Bevans, 23, of 12 Mohawk Road, allegedly conspired with two other individuals to viciously assault the men, leaving one of them with a broken tooth and a skull fracture and the other with facial lacerations and an unspecified head injury, according to his arrest warrant.

Bevans, who is free on $10,000 bond, appeared Monday in Bristol Superior Court, where he pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree assault, second-degree breach of peace and two counts of conspiracy to commit second-degree assault. His case was continued to May 16.

According to the warrant, Bevans, another man and a juvenile confronted a man in Norton Park on July 26, after he had made a comment about Bevans’ sister. Bevans and the other man with him insisted that the victim apologize for the comment, the warrant continued. He did, but the alleged assailants said the apology was not good enough and that he should apologize again, police wrote in the document.

After another apology it appeared as though the men had come to an agreement with a handshake. But when the victim turned around he was “sucker punched” by the man with Bevans after Bevans was observed giving him a nod, a witness to the attack told police. The victim’s eyes rolled into the back of his head as he collapsed on the ground, where he lied motionless for about a minute.

The man spit up part of his tooth when he eventually woke up. He was later brought to the hospital and diagnosed with a fractured mastoid tip and a tooth fracture.

After the first victim was knocked out, his friend confronted the assailant and questioned his blindside attack. According to the second victim, the man who was with Bevans then punched him in the back of the head, the warrant said. The two men then got into a tussle together, during which time the juvenile allegedly struck the second victim with what witnesses thought may have been brass knuckles.

Bevans and the minor then allegedly punched the victim in the face and all over his body numerous times for about a minute or two while the third man restrained him in a “bear hug,” according to the warrant. The second victim was eventually able to free himself, when the assailants fled to a vehicle and drove away.

The second victim was also taken to an area hospital, where he was diagnosed with facial lacerations and a head injury.

According to judicial records, the second adult assailant had not been charged as of Monday. It is not clear if the juvenile has been charged.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or

Posted in The Bristol Press, Plainville on Monday, 9 April 2018 17:29. Updated: Monday, 9 April 2018 17:32.