To the Editor:
In celebration of National Volunteer Week, (April 23-April 29) we’d like to thank all of the countless number of volunteers who help to make Southington so special. Time after time, when our community is called to action, there is never a hesitation to serve.
We would like to give a special ‘shout out’ to the over 600 volunteers at our local Y. As a volunteer-driven organization serving the community since 1928, our efforts in youth development, creating a healthier community and promoting social responsibility have relied on the dedicated and passionate services of our volunteers.
At the Y, our volunteers serve in a variety of ways;
* serving on boards and committees that adopt policy, provide guidance, oversight, planning, and evaluation.
* raising over $380,000 annually for our Annual Community Support Campaign through personal solicitation and special events; 100 percent of these funds are infused right back in the community helping those in the community needing a helping hand. Volunteers are critical for the success of events like the Sloper Plunge, Forever and Blue Jeans and Race4Chase
* serving as leaders of our parents’ group for our swim teams, gymnastics team, child care and Adventure Guides.
* a special group of volunteers who spend Saturday mornings helping to make YMCA Camp Sloper the special resource it is.
* providing several teen programs that encourage volunteerism and giving back to the community
* volunteers who work tirelessly behind the scenes to support our YMCA operations
Two years ago we launched a new initiative called Togetherhood. Togetherhood is a Y member-led community service program. Togetherhood invites Y members to activate their social responsibility by participating in the Y’s cause to strengthen community. Togetherhood provides Y members with fun, convenient and rewarding ways to give back and support their neighbors. We had lots of success connecting our Y members to serve in the community. We look forward to our next Togetherhood project on Saturday, May 13th working with Bread for Life, Southington Community Services, Tabernacle Food Bank and the Southington Post Office with their annual Postal Food Drive. Give us a call if you’d like to be involved!
We are very appreciative of these YMCA volunteers and friends who give of their time, skills, and energies because they want to make a difference. Thank you, Y volunteers, and thank you, community volunteers. You are truly the backbone of our organization and our great town of Southington
If anyone is interested in volunteering at the Y, please give us a call. (860-621-8737) We’d love to have you!