NEWINGTON - A former Farmington town councilor, who allegedly posed as a teen to develop an online relationship with a 12-year-old that turned sexual as the girl got older, has withdrawn his application for a program that would have erased the charges.
Jonathan Landry, 42, of 21 Fairview Drive, Farmington, resigned from the council earlier this year after learning of the investigation into his activities. Newington police charged him in July with interfering with police and harassment.
He is now seeking a jury trial and will not accept any plea bargain offer made by prosecutors, his attorney, H Brian Dumeer, said.
“No formal offer has been relayed, but when it is, it will be rejected,” Dumeer said.
Landry came to the attention of Newington police after a 22-year-old woman reported in January that she was being harassed by text message and through a Google app by a woman named “Jessica Monroe.”
The months-long investigation into the harassment allegation revealed that Landry had built a relationship with the woman beginning when she was a girl of 12 and that they had had their first sexual encounter when she was 16, the warrant for his arrest said.
Landry used the name “Jason Davis” and told the girl that he was 17 and living with his parents when they first started chatting via AOL Instant Messenger in 2008. Throughout their 10-year relationship, the girl believed Landry’s name was Jason Davis.
Police did not find anyone named Jessica Monroe during the course of the investigation, court papers said.
Landry had sought accelerated rehabilitation, which would have led to the charges being erased if he completed the program. After reviewing the evidence, Landry instead decided to withdraw his application Tuesday and move the case to pretrial proceedings. His next court date is Dec. 13.
Information from The Associated Press was included in this story.
Lisa Backus can be reached at 860-801-5066 or Lbackus@centralctcommunications.com.