O'Connell school continues to be developed after weekend fire

Published on Wednesday, 18 October 2017 20:52
Written by Lorenzo Burgio

STAFF WRITER

BRISTOL - The plan to develop the former O’Connell Elementary School into senior housing will continue despite a large blaze that damaged part of the building over the weekend.

Ted Lazarus of Park Lane Group explained they will be continuing the long-term plans set for the former school despite the fire.

“The next steps are just to continue on what we are doing,” Lazarus said. “The work will require that we repair the damage, but it doesn’t change the overall plan of the building.”

O’Connell and Clarence A. Bingham Schools were sold to Connecticut-based developer, Bristol Enterprises LLC for $219,000, in 2015. O’Connell is located at 120 Park St. and closed about five years ago. Bingham School is located at 3 North St. and has been unused for about seven years.

As of September, the two schools are being developed into 197 units of senior housing by Members of Bristol Enterprises, and joint partners Lazarus’s development group, Park Lane Group and Maynard Road Corp. The project was slated to be completed in the spring of 2017.

O’Connell was in the process of asbestos abatement, which was almost completed. However, over the weekend a fire heavily damaged the building and building materials.

The cause of the fire is under “active investigation,” police previously said, but said no injuries were reported. It was confined to the north end of the school, near the basketball courts and Pequabuck River, though the basement and gym in the neighboring building suffered water damage.

Lorenzo Burgio can be reached at lburgio@centralctcommunications.com or at 860-973-5088.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol, Forestville, General News on Wednesday, 18 October 2017 20:52. Updated: Wednesday, 18 October 2017 20:54.