Middletown man accused of having sex with underage girl in Bristol appears headed for trial

Published on Tuesday, 22 October 2019 19:01
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@MUSZYNSKIBP

BRISTOL - A Middletown man accused of having sex with an underage girl in Bristol several years ago appears headed for a trial.

Andrew Hobson, 47, faces one count of second-degree sexual assault of a minor.

Hobson’s case has been marked down for a jury trial following a pretrial hearing last week in New Britain Superior Court. The marking indicates Hobson’s lawyer and state prosecutors have been unable to reach a plea bargain that’s amenable to both sides.

Cases scheduled for trial sometimes go forward as such, while others still end in a plea bargain or another type of agreement.

Hobson, who is free on a $20,000 bond, is due back in court on Nov. 19.

According to police, the allegations involved Hobson having sex with a teenage girl who was known to him. Investigators have declined to release further details, citing the sealing order that was placed on the warrant when Hobson was arrested last October.

Court papers indicate the offense occurred sometime between 2003 and 2006.

From early on in the case, Hobson’s attorney said his client “vehemently denies” the allegations and plans to “vigorously” fight this charge. Hobson was cooperative with police during the investigation, his lawyer has said.

Hobson has been ordered not to contact the complainant while the case is pending and to stay 100 yards away from her.

He also has a case pending stemming from an arrest in Simsbury. There, Hobson has also been charged with second-degree sexual assault. Judicial records indicate that case stems from an incident in August 2006. It has also been marked for a jury trial.

Hobson has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol on Tuesday, 22 October 2019 19:01. Updated: Tuesday, 22 October 2019 19:04.