Former Bristol man accused of assaulting judicial marshal considering plea deal

Published on Tuesday, 8 January 2019 19:12


NEW BRITAIN - A former Bristol man accused of assaulting a judicial marshal has been offered a plea bargain.

Evon Griffith, 24, allegedly broke free from a judicial marshal’s hold and tried to punch him on April 3, at about 9:30 a.m., in the Franklin Square courthouse, according to the arrest warrant. At the time, he was being held on bond in connection with several arrests in which he spit on a marshal in the New Britain courthouse, threatened to shoot a Bristol police officer and said he would blow up the Bristol Police Department.

On Monday in Bristol Superior Court, Peter Matthews, Griffith’s attorney, was granted a continuance for his client to consider a deal offered by state prosecutors. Matthews said he has to explain all of the elements of the plea bargain - the terms of which were not disclosed publicly.

According to the arrest warrant, Griffith on April 3 was being escorted to a cell after he told another marshal - who was searching inmates as they arrived to court - not to touch him.

“I’m going to [expletive] you up if you ever touch me again,” Griffith allegedly said, according to the warrant.

When he took a swing at another marshal, the warrant said, the man was able to block the punch. The marshal cut his hand, as Griffith was wearing hand restraints, the warrant continued.

Griffith has pleaded not guilty to charges of assault on safety personnel and disorderly conduct. He is being held on $50,000 bond and is serving a sentence after pleading guilty in some of the cases he had pending during the April incident.

In May, Griffith pleaded guilty to charges of second-degree threatening, assault on safety personnel and reckless endangerment. He also admitted to violating his probation and was sentenced to 54 months in prison. He is still serving out that sentence, according to the state’s Department of Corrections.

Griffith was not charged in the April incident until after he accepted the plea deal in May.

In those cases, according to state prosecutors, Griffith threatened to shoot a Bristol police officer on June 29, 2017. He also used multiple racial slurs and said he would blow up the Bristol Police Department when he got out of prison.

In another case, Griffith spit on a judicial marshal in New Britain Superior Court Aug. 23, 2017.

According to state prosecutors, Griffith, when he was arrested in those cases, was on probation for spitting on a Bristol police officer in May 2015. He pleaded guilty in that case on Aug. 21, 2015, to charges of assault on a police officer and second-degree breach of peace. He received a sentence in 2015 of six years in prison, suspended after service of six months, and three years’ probation.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol on Tuesday, 8 January 2019 19:12. Updated: Tuesday, 8 January 2019 19:15.