New Britain man, charged in Bristol car burglaries, fails to appear in court

Published on Wednesday, 5 December 2018 16:19
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@muszynskiBP

BRISTOL - Police are looking for a New Britain man who failed to answer to charges he smashed the windows to two vehicles that were parked on Main Street in Bristol last year, rifling through them before leaving his blood behind for investigators to find.

Julio Montalvo, 34, faces two counts of third-degree burglary after allegedly breaking the windows to two vehicles that were parked outside a business on Main Street in the overnight hours between Aug. 15 and 16, 2017, according to the warrant for his arrest. 

Montalvo, who is free on $2,500 bond, was scheduled to appear in Bristol Superior Court on Wednesday. During the hearing, court officials said he missed a previous hearing and was sent a letter notifying him of Wednesday’s proceedings.

A judge on Wednesday ordered that Montalvo be re-arrested and held on $15,000 bond once he is found.

According to police, the complainants in the case said they both worked at the same business and, after finishing their shifts, found that someone had smashed their car windows and gone through the vehicles. One of the victims said a cell phone had been stolen from his car, but he could not produce a serial number for police. Investigators were not able to log it as stolen property because of that.

Police found blood on one of the windows. Detectives took a sample and sent it to the state lab. 

The results came back to police in July, which showed that the blood belonged to Montalvo, according to the warrant. Montalvo was not charged until September.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol on Wednesday, 5 December 2018 16:19. Updated: Wednesday, 5 December 2018 16:22.