BRISTOL BITS: Remembering Lucille Castiglione, owner of Frank's Pizza

Published on Thursday, 8 November 2018 20:11

Frank’s Pizza - Lucille Castiglione

Lucille, who owned and operated Frank’s Pizza for 25 years, died here at age 82 on Oct. 31. Born in Putnam, Connecticut, she was a longtime local resident, mother of four, grandmother of four and great-grandmother of two.

A hardworking mom, she, and her husband, Bernie, bought Frank’s Pizza in 1972 from Ann and John West, who previously purchased it from its founder, Frank D’Adero. The restaurant was originally on Pine Street and later was moved by the West’s to its longtime location on Stafford Avenue.

When Lucille’s husband left the family unexpectedly in 1976, Lucille, who had enhanced some of the original recipes at the business, ran it herself in supporting her four children. She sold the business in 1984 after becoming tired of the running the time-consuming business. However, she would return to buy it back a year later when it was not doing as well as it should.

I’ve known Lucille for many decades and she was a woman who was admired and loved by many.

Old Bristol Post Office

It worked!!! The feature photo in Wednesday’s column was that of a building and I asked readers to identify it and contact me. Everyone who did told me it was the old Bristol Post Office building on Main Street, the most talked about structure that was lost to 1960’s redevelopment here.

Gotcha! The photo is that of the police department in Bennington, Vermont. It was constructed in 1916 by the same firm that built our former Main Street Post Office. It was originally built as a federal building in Bennington.

Steve MacDonald (1946-2018)

Jim Kane sent an email about Steve passing and afterwards I found the obituary of his Bristol Eastern 1964 classmate and basketball teammate Steve MacDonald. Steve, 72, died at home in Agawam, Massachusetts, on Sunday.

“Steve was known by his high school basketball teammates as Dah Dit,” Jim writes. “He was quite a gentleman and a good teammate. He loved sports and he will be missed by all those he encountered. God bless Steve MacDonald.”

I recall Steve as far back as my Stafford School days. A left-hander, I remember when our basketball coach, Mr. Al Lorenzetti, had him shoot foul shots for the team to witness his accuracy. I forgot how many he nailed in a row, but it was deep into double-digits.

A Norm Bechstedt memory - Cell phones, no way!

Norm, a Bristol native who died in 2011 at age 91, typed up some of his memories growing up. The following titled “Early Telephone and Radio,” is a follows:

“I remember our first telephone. You had to wait for the operator to ask you, ‘Number please.’ My dad’s number at the Birge Company was 38. Our number was 8108 and it was a four-party line. If one of the three other parties was talking, you waited ‘til they were through. When the phone rang three times it was for us.

“We had one radio with a speaker downstairs for my grandparents. If it was time for a special program my grandmother wanted and my mother forgot, grandma banged on the heat pipes.”

Raymond James Carroll

Born in Bristol on Aug. 1, 1897, he was the son of Philip and Mabel O. Carroll of 535 Pine Street in Forestville. He went to Mary A. Callen School, was a member of St. Matthews Church and employed by Sessions Clock. He married Harriet Donovan and entered the U.S. Navy on Sept. 14, 1942, becoming an aviation machinist’s mate first class on Nov. 1, 1943. He was an instrument specialist and was killed in action on Nov. 11, 1943, in French Morocco in Africa.

Contact Bob Montgomery at or by calling 860-973-1808.

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol, General News on Thursday, 8 November 2018 20:11. Updated: Thursday, 8 November 2018 20:13.