Small power outage, explosion caused by squirrel on utility pole

Published on Friday, 6 July 2018 21:05
Written by Justin Muszynski

@MUSZYNSKIBP

BRISTOL - A small explosion heard in the area of Dallas Avenue Friday afternoon was the result of a squirrel that caused an electrical fire to a utility pole.

Firefighters responded to the area of 2 Dallas Ave., at about 4:32 p.m., on the report of a utility pole on fire. A small fire to the wires around the conduit could be seen.

The fire was caused by a squirrel that had climbed to the top of the pole.

Firefighters could not put out the flames until Eversource responded and cut out the power to the area. Before Eversource could arrive, a small explosion occurred, throwing the squirrel to the ground.

The road, which sits just off of Route 6, was closed for some time while crews made the necessary repairs.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol on Friday, 6 July 2018 21:05. Updated: Friday, 6 July 2018 21:08.