Bristol stabbing case transferred to higher court

Published on Friday, 6 July 2018 20:25


BRISTOL - The case against a city man accused of slitting his girlfriend’s throat before gagging her and leaving her tied up in her apartment has been transferred to a higher court.

Christopher Howard, 29, of no certain address, appeared Friday in Bristol Superior Court, where officials said his case will be prosecuted in court in New Britain - which is capable of handling what are known as Part A matters, the most serious crimes. Howard, who is being held on $575,000 bond, is scheduled to appear there on July 24.

According to the arrest warrant in the case, Howard and his girlfriend had an argument on June 16 in her Landry Street apartment. Police allege he was upset after the victim told him she had been with another man earlier, which she said to avoid telling him she had been at the police department to report that he had allegedly taken her vehicle without permission, the warrant said. The vehicle is worth about $26,000.

During the argument, the victim tried to leave the apartment, but Howard would not let her, so she grabbed a steak knife from the kitchen in an attempt to get out of the unit. Howard quickly grabbed the knife from the woman and allegedly slammed her down on a bed, the warrant said. He then allegedly grabbed her by the throat and told the woman that their relationship was over.

Howard, police allege, then held the knife against his girlfriend’s throat, when she begged him not to cut her. The woman later told police that, at this point, she could feel the knife slicing her throat. She then broke away and grabbed a white T-shirt to stop the bleeding, she told police.

Howard, according to the warrant, then allegedly tied the woman up, binding her hands and feet behind her back with shoelaces. He stuffed a sock in her mouth to stop anyone from hearing her screams, but she spit it out, the warrant continued. He then put the sock back in her mouth and used an iPhone charging cable to tie the sock in place by wrapping the cord around her head and the sock, police allege.

Howard then allegedly turned the volume on the television up very loud and left the apartment with the woman’s ATM card, police wrote in the warrant. She was eventually able to free herself and get help from a neighbor.

Howard was on the lam for four days until he was he was spotted in the Brass Mill Center mall in Waterbury. He ran from police and struggled with officers once he was nabbed, according to police.

Howard faces charges of first-degree assault, first-degree unlawful restraint and first-degree larceny. He did not enter a plea Friday.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol on Friday, 6 July 2018 20:25. Updated: Friday, 6 July 2018 20:27.