BRISTOL - A Bristol man accused of sexually assaulting an intoxicated man, who was barely conscious, has applied for a program that could spare him prosecution.
Samuel Cruz, 23, of no certain address in the city, applied for a second time on Tuesday, in Bristol Superior Court, for Accelerated Rehabilitation. His attorney, Alfonzo Sirica, said he was previously denied the same program. After speaking with a judge in chambers, he told Sirica he could re-apply for the program.
Sirica did not elaborate on why a second application was allowed. Cruz, who is free from custody, faces one count of fourth-degree sexual assault.
Cruz is due back in court on July 19, when he could learn if Accelerated Rehabilitation is granted. If he is put in the program he may be required to complete up to two years of a pretrial form of probation with the understanding that, if he stays out of trouble during that time period, the case would be dropped.
Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or firstname.lastname@example.org.