Case dropped against Winsted man who allegedly assaulted Bristol cop

Published on Friday, 13 April 2018 20:47
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@muszynskiBP

BRISTOL - A Winsted man accused of assaulting a Bristol police officer with a car door last March will not be prosecuted.

Michael Crossman, 24, appeared Friday in Bristol Superior Court, where state prosecutors entered a nolle in his case. A nolle means prosecutors have 13 months to reopen the case if any issues arise. Otherwise, charges of assault on an officer and interfering with police will be dropped.

Police said Crossman was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over on March 9, 2017, in the McDonald’s parking lot on North Main Street.

While investigating whether the driver was under the influence, police said Crossman, who had been told not to open the car door, forcefully swung the door open, striking an officer in the shins. The officer reported minor injuries as a result.

Crossman was then taken out of the vehicle by police, when he allegedly struggled with officers, before being taken into custody.

Ronald Dearstyne, state prosecutor, said Friday that he offered Crossman a deal in which the charges would be dropped if he did well in a first-time offender program, which was granted in another case being heard out of a different courthouse. Additionally, the officer involved in the incident did not respond to a request for his input on the matter.

The other man in the vehicle, Tyler Pascual, 23, of Florida, was also arrested. Police allege he was driving under the influence and, once back at the police department, swung his arm back in what police called an attempt to hit an officer in the head. The officer was not struck. His case is still pending.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol on Friday, 13 April 2018 20:47. Updated: Friday, 13 April 2018 20:49.