Towns mostly quiet after nor'easter hits

Published on Tuesday, 13 March 2018 18:43


BRISTOL - The third nor’easter in less than two weeks made for a quiet morning and early afternoon on Tuesday, and was expected to drop as much as eight inches of snow in the Bristol area.

Area police departments in the afternoon said many people had stayed off the roads.

In the early afternoon, Bristol police said they had not responded to any motor vehicle accidents or reports of vehicles stuck in the snow.

“The good thing is a lot of places are closed, so there’s not a lot of traffic out there,” Todd Kozaryn, head of the Bristol Police Department’s Traffic Division, said in the morning.

All area schools were closed in anticipation of deteriorating conditions. There was no word at press time as to whether school would be held on Wednesday. Parking bans in Bristol and Southington were expected to be lifted sometime Wednesday morning.

Southington police also had a quiet first half of the day, receiving no reports of any motor vehicle accidents or other storm-related issues in the morning or early afternoon. Plainville police only reported one minor crash in the morning.

Mike Widger, roadway foreman in Plainville, said that snow cleanup was expected to wrap up by around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

“It wasn’t too bad, just dealing with the predictions versus what we actually get can be difficult to manage,” he said. “We didn’t use any contractors, we did it all in-house with our own guys.”

Gov. Dannel Malloy partially opened the state’s Emergency Operations Center at 4 a.m. Tuesday. He instructed nonessential state workers to not report for work during the first shift Tuesday.

About 65 percent of flights at Bradley Airport were cancelled Tuesday morning. Malloy, in the morning, also said Metro North services were operating, with some delays, as were the state’s buses. Amtrak and Shorline east trips were suspended for the day.

“As the snowstorm develops and anticipated accumulation amounts across the state continue to grow, we believe that it is best to keep state offices closed for the day on Tuesday,” Malloy said in a statement.

Snow began falling in Central Connecticut by 4 a.m. and ramped up quickly, with snow falling at rates of one, two and three inches per hour before 2 p.m., when the worst began to taper down.

Staff writers Lisa Backus and Skyler Frazer contributed to this story.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol on Tuesday, 13 March 2018 18:43. Updated: Tuesday, 13 March 2018 18:46.