Storm slams into region, but area fares well

Published on Thursday, 8 March 2018 20:18
Written by Lorenzo Burgio


Despite the nor’easter dropping a foot or more of snow in parts of the state on Wednesday and into Thursday, area cities and towns fared pretty well and didn’t experience any serious storm-related issues.

Bristol had 25 plows and 45 contractors performing cleanup efforts through the storm, Mayor Ellen Zoppo-Sassu wrote on her Facebook page Wednesday afternoon.

The storm made for terrible driving conditions. And with wet, heavy snow that fell in a short period of time, plus wind gusts over 30 miles per hour, a number of trees were taken down and power lines were seen sagging in area towns.

Bristol police received a report of 11 motor vehicle accidents during the storm. None of them involved life-threatening injuries.

One vehicle took out a fire hydrant on Rogers Road around 6 p.m., police said. In another accident a pickup truck, with a plow attached, hit a vehicle on Rosewood Drive and took off.

Bristol police also received multiple reports of trees that fell down across the roadway, including one on Lake Avenue, and low-hanging power lines.

“It doesn’t look like anything serious happened,” said Bristol police Lt. Richard Guerrera.

Rubbish and recycle were collected Thursday on schedule, however bulk collections scheduled for Thursday were rescheduled, according to a press release from the City of Bristol.

Southington saw 16.5 inches of snow as of 11 a.m. on Thursday, according to the National Weather Service.

Southington police received reports of three motor vehicle accidents during the storm. They also were notified of about 55 public hazards, including trees down, wires down and low hanging wires. However, Southington police Lt. Stephen Elliott noted that these “could also include public hazards not related to the storm.”

Gabe Calandra, assistant superintendent of the Southington Highway Department said Thursday morning that the snow cleanup was “not too bad” despite how heavy the snow was.

“There were a fair amount of downed wires and trees but we have enough staff to take care of it and most roads were open throughout the storm,” he said. “Our crews are currently breaking for breakfast but they’re still going to be going out there and doing a little more cleanup. They’ve been out since about 2 p.m. Wednesday.”

Plainville police were called to two motor vehicle accidents. Neither involved any injuries.

“We had 14 reports of wires down as a result of the storm, but most of them involved cable or phone wires,” said Plainville police Lt. Nicholas Mullins. “We did not really have any notable storm-related issues.”

Mike Widger, roadway foreman in Plainville said that there were 20 downed trees or tree limbs in Plainville.

“We were busy all night and we wrapped up at about 9 a.m. today,” he said. “I think it came out good - the cleanup was about 98 percent spot on. There were no breakdowns and we didn’t end up needing to use a lot of salt.”

Statewide, troopers received 1,526 calls for service during the storm, including 172 motor vehicle accidents. Only six of the accidents involved injuries.

Brian Johnson and Justin Muszynski contributed to this story.

Lorenzo Burgio can be reached at 860-801-5088 or by email at

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol on Thursday, 8 March 2018 20:18. Updated: Thursday, 8 March 2018 20:20.