Warrant: Journal says Burlington woman killed husband in self defense

Published on Wednesday, 7 March 2018 14:36


BURLINGTON - State police believe a local woman, accused of murdering her husband, a UConn Health Center professor, wrote in her journal that she killed him in self-defense.

The arrest warrant in the case, which had been sealed since Linda Kosuda-Bigazzi, 70, was charged last month, was recently unsealed and released to the public. The redacted document provides insight into the death of 84-year-old Dr. Pierluigi Bigazzi, the details of which had previously not been released.

According to the five-page document, police believe Kosuda-Bigazzi wrote in a journal entry, dated 2017, that she told Bigazzi their home’s deck needed work, as the nails were coming out. The same day, she wrote, he came into the kitchen, without her knowing he was there, and grabbed a hammer. He then told Kosuda-Bigazzi that, according to Roman law, he could kill her, she wrote in the journal, the warrant said.

Kosuda-Bigazzi wrote that she then saw the hammer “move past” her face. They then ended up on the floor, where he punched her head at least twice, the journal entry said. As Bigazzi was trying to choke her with one hand, the entry said, the two struggled over the hammer, according to the warrant.

Kosuda-Bigazzi eventually got a hold of the hammer and told her husband to leave her alone, she wrote. He said “no,” and she hit him, “just swinging the hammer in any direction,” the entry states. He got quiet for a few seconds and stopped breathing, according to the warrant.

“I just wanted to slow him down,” the journal entry said.

The entry continued, saying Kosuda-Bigazzi threw her clothing in the washing machine and cleaned up a little. Within the same journal contained notes about several defense attorneys and names of bail bondsmen in the state, the warrant said.

The death of the 84-year-old was discovered when UConn police contacted state troopers on Feb. 5, at about 3:22 p.m., after Bigazzi didn’t respond to an email from his supervisor at the school. UConn police asked that someone conduct a well-being check at the professor’s home, at 70 Smith Lane.

The supervisor said she had not heard from Bigazzi - who, according to the warrant, suffered from dementia - since July, when she received a message from his email address. His key card for the school had not been used since August, the warrant said. He had been allowed to work from home.

A Burlington police officer went to Bigazzi’s home and no one answered the door. The officer, the warrant said, saw two vehicles in the garage and could hear someone moving around in the house. The home had “heavy” blinds covering its windows.

While the officer was at the home, state police received a phone call from Brian Karpe, a Hartford-based attorney, who said Kosuda-Bigazzi had contacted him and said she was in the house. Karpe asked that police not try to enter the home until he got to the house.

Karpe arrived at the home around 5:31 p.m. After a couple conversations with Kosuda-Bigazzi, he allowed police into the home to “conduct a limited search” for Bigazzi.

Inside the house, police found “signs of insect activity” in the basement. The officer then found a tarp covering decomposed human remains, which were later turned over to the medical examiner’s office. The autopsy confirmed Bigazzi died of multiple blunt force injuries to the skull, the warrant said.

Kosuda-Bigazzi was arrested Feb. 9 and charged with murder and tampering with evidence. She is free on $1.5 million bond, and is next scheduled to appear in New Britain Superior Court on April 27.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol, General News on Wednesday, 7 March 2018 14:36. Updated: Wednesday, 7 March 2018 14:39.