Route 6 widening expected to be finished in November of next year

Published on Saturday, 13 May 2017 21:24
Written by Lorenzo Burgio

Staff Writer

BRISTOL - The Connecticut Department of Transportation is currently working on widening Route 6 to make safety and traffic improvements and ultimately safer for travel.

The project spans from the intersection of Carol Drive and Route 6 in Bristol to the intersections of Peggy Lane and Route 6 in Farmington. On weekdays the road will be closed between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. and between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. on weekdays.

The plan proposed the addition of an eastbound lane between these two intersections, in order to reduce congestion, delays, gridlock and safety concerns.

The proposed improvements would adjust the existing pavement cross-slope, make drainage modifications and upgrades, and change the traffic signals to accommodate the alterations.

Construction began at the beginning of April and should be completed in November 2018, at the end of the next construction season, explained Judd Everhart, director of communications at the Department of Transportation.

“Last fall, the project was awarded to Empire Paving at a cost of about $12.87 million,” said Everhart. “For projects like this, 80 percent of the total cost comes from federal funding and then the cities match the other 20 percent.”

There are specific aspects in the project’s planning process from an online community survey conducted last year to incorporate the public’s visions into the development of the corridor. One percent of respondents felt the corridor is fine as is.

The study found that traffic and overall appearance was a big concern to the 267 respondents, of which about 35 percent live and work in the Route 6 corridor. 70 percent of respondents said there should be additional turning lanes, and roughly half said travel lanes should be added.

Sidewalks are planned along the entire corridor, along with bicycle accommodation on or in the vicinity. Roughly 35 percent stated that improvements to sidewalks and crosswalks were needed in the Terryville Avenue, downtown gateway and Farmington Avenue segments.



Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol, General News on Saturday, 13 May 2017 21:24. Updated: Saturday, 13 May 2017 21:26.