Bristol boys lacrosse errupt offensively against Windsor

Published on Wednesday, 19 May 2021 20:48


BRISTOL - It was a light day for the starters on the Bristol co-op boys lacrosse team in their win over Windsor on Wednesday.

Bristol overwhelmed the Warriors in all phases of the game and led 21-0 after three quarters en route to a 21-2 win. Junior Andrew Spina, freshman Aidan Collins and senior Austin Salzillo each posted hat tricks to lead a fast-paced scoring attack that played with a pass-first mentality.

“We knew we wanted to work on our fundamentals,” coach Bill Els said. “We just wanted to take care of the ball and take care of what we can take care of and then build on getting better every day.”

Junior Ayden Cross ignited the scoring early in the first quarter with his only goal of the game and from that point Bristol was getting shots in bunches. Cross connected on a team-high three assists as the team racked up 12 goals in the first quarter. He was one of five players to notch four points in the game along with Spina, Salzillo, junior Nathan Shorette and freshman Dylan Brown. Shorette and Brown each finished with two goals and two assists.

Senior captain Jeff Taillon found a lane up the middle and ripped an overhand shot to score Bristol’s second goal and begin his two-goal afternoon.

“We were ready to go,” Taillon said. “We had a good amount of rest before this game so I think we were able to dial it in, get a lot of good fast breaks early and play some tight defense. It really went our way in the first quarter and we were able to build on that for the rest of the game.”

Bristol displayed an intent focus on keeping the ball moving and were passing vigorously early. While it overdid it sometimes and gave the ball away, it also created a variety of quality scoring opportunities. Bristol won a faceoff and had the ball in the net less than 10 seconds later after a pair of swift passes found Spina up close on the left side of the goal to make the score 6-0.

The score was 8-0 less than two minutes later.

Goaltender Max Stavens was challenged a few times in the game, but Bristol held the ball for so much of the game he did not see that many shots and finished with four saves. Bristol’s whole defensive unit had complete dominance over Windsor, causing plenty of turnovers and preventing open shots.

“We have no issues on defense, they’re very athletic, they’re very good, I have total confidence in them,” Els said. “What I want them to do is be aggressive and attack the ball. A lot of coaches and teams that aren’t so skilled, they kind of stand them in a zone and not do much. Our kids are very athletic so I want them to go after the guys without getting a penalty.”

Bristol only posted two goals in the second quarter after its big opening period, but its defense remained stout and kept Windsor scoreless. Bristol slowed its pace after building such a large lead so quickly and reached deeper into its bench to let more players see the field.

The offense woke back up after halftime and scored seven more goals without allowing any. Bristol did not score in the fourth quarter and Stavens allowed his only two goals of the game late, long after it mattered.

“We knew this wasn’t some powerhouse, so we wanted to come out and show them what we’re made of, handle business early so that we could have a game like we had later on where we could rest our major guys and [play] all the players who don’t normally get in,” senior captain defenseman Jack Stavens said.

Bristol returns to the field Thursday to face the Suffield-Windsor Locks co-op (3-9) for its first of three-straight road games to end the regular season. The team expects this game to be much more of a challenge as it looks to gain more experience.

Matt Hornick can be reached at (860) 973-1811 or

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol Central, Bristol Eastern on Wednesday, 19 May 2021 20:48. Updated: Wednesday, 19 May 2021 20:51.