McCabe-Waters uses potent offense to take Game 1 of City Series championship from Forestville

Published on Saturday, 19 August 2017 22:41


BRISTOL - It was a hot day at Peck Park’s Watson Field in Bristol and the McCabe-Waters Red Sox bats were just as hot.

After waiting an extra day to play due a rainout, the Red Sox cruised to a 17-6 victory over the Forestville A’s in a four-inning game because of the Little League mercy rule to take the first game in a best-of-three series for the City Series title.

Anthony Ricciuti didn’t let the extra day off get him out of rhythm. The slugger again played an integral part in the Red Sox win. He finished the game 4-for-4 with five runs driven in.

“We hit great. We were aggressive and I thought our pitching was good,” Ricciuti said.

While his individual performance was strong, the win was a full team effort.

“We had a lot of hits,” Red Sox manager Mark Gibson said. “Everybody in the order hit well, kids at the top and the bottom.”

Offensively, the first two innings were where the Sox set the tempo for the game.

After two frames, McCabe-Waters held a 10-5 lead.

In the first inning, Chase Gibson started the torrid day for the Sox with an RBI double. He later scored, along with Tyler Wilson on a Ricciuti single. Up 3-0, Jacob Wilson wanted to join in on the hit parade and his single scored Ricciuti.

The second inning was no different as the Sox batted through the order in both frames.

After Gibson reached base, he stole second and Kaiden Dionne delivered him home with a double. Ricciuti and Jay Fedor added an RBI apiece in the inning while Jacob Wilson’s had a two-run double.

“All season long we’ve been scoring a lot of runs and playing great defense so it’s kind of what I expected out of them,” manager Gibson said.

Forestville was down 10-1 coming into the bottom of the second. With the big deficit facing them, the A’s finished with a four-run inning.

Mitch Crowley chipped in an RBI single to get things rolling offensively for Forestville. With Gibson in a jam, the Red Sox handed the ball to Ricciuti in relief.

The first batter Ricciuti saw was Kyle Wilson and the bases were loaded for him to deliver a momentum shifting hit for his club.

Wilson did just that and cleared the bases with his second double of the game. He finished with the two doubles and drove in three of the A’s six runs. 

Even with the strong offensive performance from Wilson, McCabe-Waters' offensive output was too much for Forestville to overcome.

The A’s will get a chance to redeem themselves on Monday in Game 2.

“We made too many mistakes,” Forestville manager Dean Varano said. “We had to experiment with some pitching. Monday we’ll be ready to go and they know they learned from this.”

Along with Ricciuti, the Red Sox’ Gibson and Jacob Wilson also delivered big days for the McCabe-Waters lineup.

Gibson finished 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI and a stolen base. Wilson was 2-for-2 with three runs driven in.

“Our team has battled through a lot of games and if we stick together we can definitely do it,” Gibson said of his team’s chances to represent Bristol as the city’s premier Little League team.

With a team primarily made up of 12-year-olds, a win in Game 2 will represent mixed emotions as the season would conclude for McCabe-Waters.

“It’s fun and we’re enjoying ourselves and we’re going to miss each other but this also represents being done [with little league],” manager Gibson said.

Dan Orencole can be reached at 860-973-1811 or

On Twitter: @OrencoleDan

Posted in The Bristol Press, Bristol Central, Bristol Eastern, General Sports on Saturday, 19 August 2017 22:41. Updated: Saturday, 19 August 2017 22:44.