Nor'easter rolling through Bristol area

Published on Tuesday, 13 March 2018 11:09


BRISTOL - The third nor’easter in less than two weeks made for a quiet morning and early afternoon on Tuesday, despite being expected to drop as much as a foot of snow in the Bristol area.

Area police departments in the afternoon said a lot of people had stayed off the roads, many of which were in good shape throughout the morning and early afternoon.

In the early afternoon, Bristol police said they had not responded to any motor vehicle accidents or reports of vehicles stuck in the snow.

“The good thing is a lot of places are closed, so there’s not a lot of traffic out there,” Todd Kozaryn, head of the Bristol Police Department’s Traffic Division, said in the morning.

All area schools were closed in anticipation of deteriorating conditions, with 8 to 12 inches of snow expected to fall in Central Connecticut by the time the storm had finished. Parking bans in Bristol and Southington were expected to be lifted sometime lWednesday morning.

Southington police also had a quiet first half of the day, receiving no reports of any motor vehicle accidents or other storm-related issues in the morning or early afternoon. Plainville police only reported one minor crash in the morning and a vehicle stuck in a snowbank in the early afternoon.

Gabe Calandra, assistant superintendent of the Southington Highways Department, said that it was overall "not a bad storm."

We did pre-treat the roads (Monday) at  noon  and that worked out well as far as holding down accumulation," Calandra said. "Our guys came in at  3 a.m.  (Tuesday) and went out on their routes at  4 a.m  and started plowing at around 5 or  6 a.m. "

Gov. Dannel Malloy partially opened the state’s Emergency Operations Center at 4 a.m. Tuesday. He instructed nonessential state workers to not report for work during the first shift Tuesday.

About 65 percent of flights at Bradley Airport were cancelled Tuesday morning. Malloy, in the morning, also said Metro North services were operating, with some delays, as were the state’s buses. Amtrak and Shorline east trips were suspended for the day.

 “As the snowstorm develops and anticipated accumulation amounts across the state continue to grow, we believe that it is best to keep state offices closed for the day on Tuesday,” Malloy said in a statement.

Snow began falling in Central Connecticut by 4 a.m. WFSB-TV meteorologists Scot Haney and Mark Dixon said the storm was expected to ramp up quickly, with snow falling at rates of one, two and three inches per hour before 2 p.m., when the worst was expected to taper down.

Staff writers Brian Johnson, Lisa Backus and Skyler Frazer contributed to this story.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or

Posted in The Bristol Press, on Tuesday, 13 March 2018 11:09. Updated: Tuesday, 13 March 2018 14:23.